If you’re living under a rock and haven’t heard by now, Taylor Swift is (one of) my favorite celebrities, and my favorite singer by far. Since I’m still reeling from seeing her live at the RED tour (and still have the album on repeat), this was the perfect time for a post about life lessons learned from the songwriter.
1. It’s always a perfect night for breakfast at midnight.
You pile into the car with your friends at 2 AM and drive to the local diner. You cram into the vinyl booth and order short stacks covered in copious amounts of maple syrup. And with each bite and word exchanged, you have the deepest conversations of your life into the early hours of the next morning.
2. While you’re in your 20’s, you’ll be happy, free, confused, and lonely in the best way.
And it’s 100% okay to admit that you have no idea what you’re doing or what your dreams might be, but that you’re blindly following your heart to find out.
This should be the #1 rule in girl world. It’d save some from a lot of drama.
4. It’s not about waiting for the storm to pass, but rather learning to dance in the rain.
Preferably while wearing your best dress. You’ll feel fearless.
If he’s not impressed with you just the way you are, he won’t be worth it in the long haul.
6. When something affects you, big or small, you should write about it.
Boyfriend breaks up with you? Write it in your journal. Go on a lousy first date? Write it in your journal. Someone cuts in front of you in the Starbucks line? Write it in your journal. Processing your emotions in written form is therapeutic. Plus, look where it got Tay.
7. You have to say what you feel.
She said it best in the cover booklet for her third studio album: “There is a time for silence. There is a time for waiting your turn. But if you know how you feel, and you so clearly know what you need to say, you’ll know it. I don’t think you should wait. I think you should speak now.”
8. Sometimes what you’re looking for is right in front of you.
Okay, Taylor’s talking about a boy in You Belong With Me, but it could mean anything. That motivation you’re searching for? The next move to make? The solution to a problem? It could’ve been there all along.
9. You can’t change the past, but you can’t make others forget it, either.
“I’d go back in time and change it but I can’t. So if the chain is on your door I understand.” Apologies heal wounds, but they don’t always make troubles disappear.
10. There is someone out there just for you.
Taylor sang that “[she’s] gonna find someone someday who might actually treat [her] well,” so you’ve got to believe that that standard can apply for you, too.
11. …but it’s okay to celebrate being single.
Who knows how long you might spend without having a significant other, so instead of being down in the dumps, why not treat it like a party?
12. Every failed relationship will teach you something.
Whether it’s a best friend or a boyfriend, don’t regret the time spent with someone. Whatever memories you have will teach you lessons in the long run. Losing them might be blue, but loving them was red.
13. You shouldn’t have to hide behind the term “guilty pleasure.”
If you like something, own up to it; you shouldn’t feel ashamed about something that makes you happy. When asked about what music she listens to, Taylor said, “There is no embarrassing song on my iPod because I don’t have guilty pleasures. I am proud of everything I listen to.”
14. Always remember the people who get you to where you are.
“Fans are my favorite thing in the world. I’ve never been the type of artist who has that line drawn between their friends and their fans. The line’s always been really blurred for me.”
15. Don’t give in to what other people think.
Especially when it comes to love. Your significant other might not win over the hearts of everyone, but if they have yours, that’s enough.
16. Be ready to accept someone.
Even if you’ve disagreed in the past. “But I would lay my armor down, if you said you’d rather love than fight.”
17. Haters gonna hate…
18. …but at the end of the day, all they’re ever gonna be is mean.
Meanwhile, you’ll be living out your dreams.
19. Start living in the present.
“…you don’t find happiness from living your life looking ahead or back…that you find it when you look around.”
20. “If you’re lucky enough to be different, don’t ever change.”
Need she say more?
21. “There are no rules when it comes to love.”
Every situation is different. Everything will change. It’s all what you make of it.
22. Everything will be alright if you keep dancing like you’re 22.
Making this my new life motto, y’all.